Most burglaries tend to be opportunistic rather than planned, and if your home looks unlived in or doesn't look secure, it could be at risk. Knowing what a burglar looks for when choosing his target will help you to identify weak spots in your home's security.
Top Ten Tips:
- Mark or etch your property with your postcode, house or flat number or the first three letters of your house name.
- Register your items with a serial number here: www.immobilise.com
- Don'tt leave your car keys or ID documents near doors, letterbox or windows.
- Always check who’s at the door and don’t open it if you feel anxious.
- Close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
- Keep your valuables out of sight.
- Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you get home.
- Install a visible burglar alarm.
- Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked.
- Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time.
Contact the Citadel Team if you need advice or would like to book a free survey of your property